Monday, April 23, 2012

Feedback.

I have recently read Matthew Syed's book "Bounce; The myth of talent and the power of practice". It is a very encouraging read for someone like me who has often bemoaned her lack of 'talent'. There are however no shortcuts to learning. Like Carol Dweck, Matthew reminds us that we are responsible for our own learning and although it can be a long and arduous road- anything is possible.
I particulalry love this quote.  “feedback is the rocket fuel that propels the acquisition of knowledge, and without it no amount of practice is going to get you there.” (p94) My mind conjures up images to go with this- of propulsion, surging forward and heading off into the great vast unknown!
So as a teacher, I am also reminded of how I give feedback; whether to a child or to an adult, will have an effect. What I say and what I do, counts. I can be the bringer of 'rocket fuel'- with helpful specific comment and feedback. It's something I am working on, and like any learning-it takes practice.

No comments: